Now we’re in to week 2 I figured (pun intended) I should give a recap on how the first week of food budgeting went.
We succeeded in sticking within our set budget!
– we didn’t eat particularly well. This was partly due to my night shifts, and partly due to us going away for the weekend so I didn’t want to buy loads of fresh produce that would go to waste.
– Tom’s mum brought a beef stew over which covered two days worth of dinners.
– Tom bought lunch out once in the week (as well as his weekly bacon buttie) and I treated myself to a coffee and cake post-hideous night shift.
– I did buy a few extras that were definitely not a necessity.
– we were away this weekend gone so some recreation money was spent on food.
Taking these factors into account, I think we’re going to aim to stick to out already planned budget; whilst making a few minor adjustments in order to eat relatively well/better than last week. Such as,
– we’re no longer buying fruit and veg from Abel & Cole. Sad times. But when I directly compared what we buy with them with getting the same (albeit not locally sourced/organic) from a local supermarket, I spent half the amount at the supermarket.
– we need to be stricter with the odd coffee and unnecessary purchases.
I think one of my biggest problems is sticking to a meal plan. I’m not very good at eating what we planned rather than eating what I feel like on the day. We’ll see how this week goes, and whether I can build some flexibility into the meal planning…